New Year, New Planners, New You
Happy New Year! Click here or scroll to the bottom of this post to see me chatting live on Fox Rochester about my favorite planners and how I use them!
I am so excited to start a fresh new year with big goals and dreams! The month of January always feels so good to me because it’s when I take time to do some serious reflecting on the highlights and low lights of the previous year, and then my favorite part: set goals to crush for the next.
I’ll save my personal and professional goals for the next post because today I’m sharing about the planners that I’m using this year to keep me on track to live a peace-filled, purposeful life. *All planner links are affiliate.
Setting up a personal planning system is the first step in successfully achieving your goals, and everyone’s system will look a little differently according to your needs. I use 3-5 planners consistently for different areas of my life: family/household planning, work planning, health and fitness planning (Well, I try to use this one every day – try), meal planning, etc. For more about how I plan, read this and this.
Today I’ll share my three favorite planners that I’m using for 2017.
Erin Condren LifePlanner – (hourly neutral)
Erin Condren’s LifePlanners were my first love in the planner world. I started planning with the vertical layout for my family, and I am still 100% a huge fan. Erin’s planners are cute and customizable with personalization and photo options that keep me interested and coming back because it’s something unique that I created. I tend to change my covers seasonally or when we get new family photos taken, which makes me excited to use my planner and come back to it regularly throughout the week.
I use the Erin Condren LifePlanner for planning family and household things. This year, I’m switching from the vertical LifePlanner to the hourly. It’s my first year using an hourly, which is still a vertical layout only with added time slots.
l love a vertical layout because:
- I like to see my family’s schedule in a weekly spread: appointments, sports schedules, meal plans, school activities, habit trackers, workout, etc. This layout allows me to better plan with the whole picture in mind.
- In my head, I plan based on the hours in a day. I used the Erin Condren boxes in the vertical planner as a morning/to-do, afternoon, and evening time slots, and the hourly is an extension of that with a little greater detail.
- I love to plan my weeks creatively with stickers, washi tape, and even photos in this planner. Taking some time on the weekend to be creative is something I very much enjoy, and the pretty spreads I create keep me coming back to my planner throughout the week.
Erin Condren Deluxe Monthly Planner
This year I’m adding another Erin Condren LifePlanner to my planning routine – the Deluxe Monthly Planner. I’m so excited about using it as our new financial planning system. Tom and I have some big goals this year, and I need to be consistent with sticking to our budget and tracking financial goals.
Previously, I used a binder system that I created with printables and a notebook. When I saw the new Deluxe Monthly, though, I knew I wanted to use it as an all-in-one financial planning system. Tom and I use Davy Ramsey’s Total Money Makeover system, which focuses on the 7 Baby Steps to financial security. This Deluxe planner has room for all of my notes and tracking that help me stay on track with pay offs, saving, and spending.
Reasons I love it:
- Two size options: the typical 7×9 and the new larger 8.5×11, which is what I chose. I find that I need the extra space to write in our goals and plans and track payoff amounts throughout the year.
- Extra notes pages – the extra notes pages take the place of the weekly pages on a traditional LifePlanner. This works perfectly for me as I track our finances monthly, and I need plenty of notes pages to tally our balances, checks, accounts, etc.
Flagship Day Designer
The last planner that I’m using for 2017 is my Flagship Day Designer, which I use for work and project planning. The Day Designer has much more white space on each page for in-depth daily planning, while still giving me space for hourly slots from 5am-9pm. This planner is just as vital to me as my LifePlanner, but for a few different reasons.
Here’s why I love the Day Designer planner:
- Daily Planning Pages – Each day has a separate page in the Day Designer rather than a weekly layout. This allows a TON of space which is heaven for note-takers and list makers like myself.
- The best of both worlds – there are two section on each page – an hourly on the left and a lined to-do on the right. I love that I can use each side differently depending on my needs. Sometimes I break the sections in to work/home, sometime into events for the day/to-dos, sometimes just as headers with lots of space for notes for projects.
- 5 Ds – Whitney English, the founder of the Day Designer, designated five boxes at the top of each page for the 5 Ds: due, dollars, dinner, don’t forget, and daily gratitude. I love having these important tasks/thoughts broken down in one spot to give focus to my day.
- Goal Setting – another unique feature of the Day Designer are the goal setting worksheets at the beginning of the planner. I use the Heart Goals to define what matters most to me.
As beautiful as these planners are, and as excited as I am to use them, what matters most is the commitment to sticking with a personal planning system consistently throughout the year to achieve my goals.
I wish you all a healthy, prosperous, and peaceful 2017, my friends! Cheers to the New Year!
What planning system or planners are you using this year? I’d love to hear in the comments below.
Follow me on my planning Instagram here to see more pictures, ideas, and tips!
The items shown were sent to me for consideration. This is not a sponsored post. I personally use everything that I recommend and I very much appreciate your support of this blog!
Please note that some of the links provided are affiliate links, for which I receive a small commission if you make a purchase through them. This does not cost you any extra.
Watch the live segment on Good Day Rochester below:
Like it? Pin it!
Interested in the latest news from Willowcrest Lane?
Join the Willowcrest Lane mailing list for news and updates, sneak peeks, and behind the scenes views!